Wednesday 30 November 2011

Litany of St Francis de Sales

I have two confirmation saints, coz I'm greedy and stuff...One is St Clare of Assisi, my Dad chose her name for me when I thought I was going to be Confirmed in the Catholic primary school I went to. The other is St Francis de Sales, patron of writers, and I love to write so i wanted him to look over me. My name is Francis Clare, at first it was going to be Clare Francis but I decided against it (I actually rang up my priest less than a week before my baptism to change it lol!). It was funny that night because I was the only one who chose a Confirmation name (all the other candidates were much older and probably didn't see it as necessary). Thankfully I was the first one called up so I probably didn't stick out too much. I chose both saints because my Dad and I had been having a fight just up to a couple of weeks before my baptism, he wasn't even going to come (he lives 700kms away from me anyway), and I decided after we made up I wanted to honour him in some way.

Anyway, I found this litany the other day. St Francis De Sales is a fairly obscure saint (I can't find a metal of him) so I'm really pleased he at least a litany!

Litany of St. Francis de Sales

Lord, have mercy on us. Christ, have mercy on us. Lord, have mercy on us.
Christ, hear us. Christ, graciously hear us.
O God, the Father of heaven, have mercy on us.
O God, the Son, Redeemer of the world, have mercy on us.
O God, the Holy Ghost, have mercy on us
O Holy Trinity, one God, have mercy on us.

Holy Mary, Mother of God, Pray for us.

St. Francis de Sales, Pray for us.
St. Francis, miracle of the most august Trinity, Pray for us.
St. Francis, faithful imitator of Jesus Christ, Pray for us.
St. Francis, attached to the the service of the Blessed Virgin, Pray for us.
St. Francis, practicing the virtues of the Saints, Pray for us.
St. Francis, most devote to Jesus crucified, Pray for us.
St. Francis, august tabernacle of true religion, Pray for us.
St. Francis, most humble in prosperity, Pray for us.
St. Francis, most patient in adversity, Pray for us.
St. Francis, true portrait of the meekness of Christ, Pray for us.
St. Francis, simple as the dove, Pray for us.
St. Francis, example of angelic modesty, Pray for us.
St. Francis, exact observer of evangelic poverty, Pray for us.
St. Francis, excellent example of the purity of angels, Pray for us.
St. Francis, ever obedient to the Apostolic See, Pray for us.
St. Francis, generously despising the world, Pray for us.
St. Francis, powerful vanquisher of demons, Pray for us.
St. Francis, invincible triumpher over the flesh, Pray for us.
St. Francis, inflamed with the love of God, Pray for us.
St. Francis, abounding in virtues, Pray for us.
St. Francis, all to all for the salvation of souls, Pray for us.
St. Francis, most dear to God, and beloved by men, Pray for us.
St. Francis, unwearied apostle of Geneva and its territory, Pray for us.
which thou didst so laboriously reunite to the one true Church of God, Pray for us.
St. Francis, most fervent pastor, ever careful to lead thy flock to the fold of Jesus the Good Shepherd, Pray for us.
St. Francis, most renowned for thy miracles, Pray for us.
St. Francis, greatest of all thy miracles, Pray for us.
St. Francis, patriarch of the Visitation, Pray for us.
St. Francis, continual martyr to thy love of God, Pray for us.
St. Francis, father of many Saints, by the holy rules which thou hast left for every state, Pray for us.
St. Francis, powerful protector to obtain of God that mildness which preserves the peace of the heart, Pray for us.
St. Francis, amiable patron of those who invoke thee, Pray for us.

Lamb of God, who takest away the sins of the world, Spare us, O Lord.
Lamb of God, who takest away the sins of the world, Hear us, O Lord.
Lamb of God, who takest away the sins of the world, Have mercy on us, O Lord.

O Blessed Francis, like the fruitful olive-tree in the house of God, radiant in miracles, make us partakers of thy sanctity and of the light which thou enjoyest.

V. Pray for us, Blessed Francis of Sales.
R. That we may be made worthy of the promises of Christ.

Let us pray:
O God, by whose gracious will the Blessed Francis, thy confessor and bishop, became all things unto all men, for the saving of their souls, mercifully grant that, being filled with the sweetness of thy love, we may, through the guidance of his counsels, and by the aid of his merits, attain unto the joys of life everlasting. Through Christ our Lord. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment